- Nov 2020
In the process of improving actors at DW here is one important resource that can serve as inspiration in terms of organisation of data
- Oct 2020
||AndrijanaG||||StephanieBP|| There are a few points related to publishing at DW:
- do we publish updates based on articles in the Economist or any other newspaper?
- this article is good in inter-linking existing content (see links to other articles in this text). We do not use it a lot - even if we do not have our content we could link to other content).
- ||djordjej||: would this approach improve SEO? would new way of publishing DW Newsletter and Weekly Briefs improve this interlinkages pool and options? If yes - how (practically)
Priority: medium (to have it functional till the end of October).
Why? It is clear that website are 'image intensive'. Our websites are very shy on images and very intensive on text. We have to change this 'ratio'. We have to do it carefully with moderation and style.
WHAT? Ultimate result should be to give our curators and DW editors offer of 5 photos/images to be associated with new updates. They can select one image and publish on DW.
HOW? Steps to do achieve this (around persons)
- ||dusan|| sends new update (summary and link to full text) to ||JovanNj|| who
- sends this to SketchEngine, which process the text and return 5 keywrods/tags to JovanNJ who....
- sends this tags/keywords to one or many Photo/Images Stocks (Misko will identify a few photo/images stocks and see how they communicate with outside applications - e.g. how they can receive keywords and select images - e.g. is there any API; if there is a need we will subscribe to these services)
- Photo/image stocks can return 5 top images to Textus Admin where curator or Andrijana can select the right one and publish on DW. Dusan will need to adjust Textus Admin for this services.
This process should be happening in real-time.
NEXT STEPS?We should start developing this in our agile-style:
- have brainstorming next week with inputs
- prepare plan given other priorities
- deploy initial version (good enough)
- fine-tune it via feedback.
It is also a small 'communication experiment'. You can either comment here (use Textus as discussion board) or in Textus document (annotation to GoogleDoc). Please, start reflecting what would be your favourite way in discussing this type of issues (Textus discussion thread or GoogleDoc). We will start discussion on one of our DiploTeam meetings. Here is GoogleDoc with this text (if you prefer to annotate GoogleDoc)
||djordjej|| will make sure that process moves on. ||Jovan|| will follow-up on brainstormings.
As cities are going into hight due to limited land (skyscappers) websites are going in two directions:
- length (longer pages)
- width (using horisontal scrollers).
Here is an interesting solution from Swissinfo.ch to present Latest news as horisontal display (analogy with movies). They use it also for updates from the main agencies.
||djordjej|| Could you put on 'DW development' an idea of developing module that would display updates in this type of 'horisontal way'. We may start using it. Priority: medium (lates - end of October)
- Aug 2020
a very useful higlightes. Shall we include it for our coverage of issues
- Jun 2020
Technology is Stupid
This text is useful for a few reasons:
- it provides a good summary of remote working tools (ConfTech Lab)
- it is a good attempt to play with different fonts and spacings in ordere to make long text more engaging - it is not yet 'there' but it is approach that we should use for our long texts: different fonts, spacings, braking with images.